So you have decided that you want to lose weight or get fit. Now what? You have kids and a full time job. Or your kids ARE your full time job. You don’t have the money or the time to join a gym. The perfect solution is to create a home gym.
Your home gym is open 24 hours a day. Baby wide awake at 3 in the morning? Pull double duty and get a work out in! OK….maybe not, but you see the potential. So, what exactly do you need to create this home gym? Not as much as you might think.
- Stability Ball- This piece of equipment pulls double duty. Use as a weight bench for chest presses. Use as a chair to help incorporate the core muscles; challenging and strengthening them.
- Yoga Mat- Of course for those yoga/Pilates sessions. Yoga mats are also handy for floor work to protect your knees or for those exercises where you need to lie down.
- Pull up Bar- This simple tool strengthens your biceps, back, abs, etc. This one tool packs a big punch for muscle building.
- Adjustable Dumbbells- The variety for this one piece of equipment is infinite. Of course you can buy regular dumbbells, but you will get more mileage out of the adjustable kind because you will be getting stronger faster than you think. Then, you won’t have to worry about the sales person from the sporting goods store recognizing you every week when you go in for new dumbbells.
- Resistance Bands- These seem so inconsequential….however, you can achieve a great strength training session with these. The plus side? They take up next to no space, so there is always room to store them.
- Kettlebells – These are amazing little powerhouses! They can be used as weights for strength training, or they make an amazing cardio session. They come in a variety of weights and don’t take up much space.
- TV with DVD player-DVD’s can be an amazing source of training and company. There is nothing quite like feeling that you are right there in that class pushing right along with those on the screen, but in the comfort of your own home!
- Foam Roller- Never underestimate these bad boys. They can work miracles on those tired aching muscles; without the need to be oiled down by Helga. They also can be put to work as props for yoga poses.
This is just the tip of the iceberg for equipping your home gym. The possibilities are endless for equipment to add. However, with just these items to start – you will be on your way to fit and healthy in no time! Just remember, the only equipment that will get you results is the equipment that you use….so make sure to get those workouts in!