July 18, 2018|
What Does “Healthy Eating” Mean?
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, a healthy diet:
- Emphasizes vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk products.
- Includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.
- Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt, and added sugars.
- Balances the calories you take in from food and beverages with the calories burned through physical activity to maintain a healthy weight.
Here are some tips to help you meet the guidelines:
- Eating fruits and vegetables of different colors gives your body a wide range of valuable nutrients.
- Include foods that contain fiber such as fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole-grains.
- Eat lean cuts of meat and poultry. Trim away excess fat and remove skin from poultry before cooking.
- Pay attention to portion sizes, especially at restaurants. Smaller portions equal fewer calories.
- Season your food with lemon juice, herbs, and spices, rather than using butter and salt.
- Choose foods that are baked, broiled, braised, grilled, steamed, sautéed, or boiled, rather than fried.
- When eating out, select a dish from the menu, rather than getting your money’s worth at the all-you-can-eat buffet.
If you have any questions regarding healthy eating please feel free to ask me!